The Skydio Autonomy Engine is always improving and adding new features to Skydio 2/2+. These improvements are enabled with periodic software updates to both the Skydio app and the drone itself. The same is true for Skydio accessories like Beacon and Controller.
Software updates for your drone and any Skydio accessories are delivered via the Skydio 2 and Skydio Enterprise apps. When an update is made available, you'll receive a notification within the app (the app must be connected to the internet to receive the update):
To install the update, select your drone in the list of "Devices" under the Info tab and then follow the onscreen prompts to start the update. Note that these illustrations are from an Android device, but the process looks almost identical in the iOS versions of the Skydio apps:
[caution] Do not leave the app or power off your drone during the update process. [/caution]
Step 1 - Navigate to the INFO tab
Under Devices select the name of your drone.
Step 2 - Connect to your drone
On this screen you will see Software Update Available. Tap the gray button that says Connect to Skydio 2/2+ to begin the update process.
You will see a prompt notifying you to connect to the drone.
After successfully connecting to Skydio, tap the blue button that says Update.
Step 3 - Start update and connect to WiFi
Tap WiFi Settings to open the list of available WiFi networks. Connect to a stable network and begin downloading the new software.
Step 4 - Your app will automatically reconnect to the drone
After the app successfully downloads the new software, you will see a screen that says Switching WiFi as the app reconnects to your drone.
Tap Connect to continue the update process.
After successfully connecting, the software update will automatically continue.
[note] If you are having trouble automatically connecting to your drone, manually open your WiFi settings and select your drone from the list of available networks. [/note]
Step 5 - Skydio automatically reboots
After installing the software, your drone will automatically reboot. Once this is complete, you will be prompted once more to reconnect to your drone.
Step 6 - Complete update
The LEDs on your Skydio will flash as the drone finishes updating.
When the update completes, tap Done to return to the fly screen. Your drone is now updated and you are ready to fly!
Updating Skydio Accessories
If an update is available for your Skydio accessories, such as Beacon and Controller, the update process will happen automatically the next time that accessory connects to your drone. The update process is indicated by unique LED behaviors on each accessory:
- The Beacon LED will flash blue and the screen will display “Updating Beacon”.
- The Controller LED will flash green.
- The LED on both accessories will return to solid blue once the update is complete.
- Do not power your Beacon or Controller off while an update is being applied.
- To update your Skydio 2 Dual Battery charger, see Updating your Skydio Dual Charger.
- Always check to make sure you have the latest version of the Skydio 2 or Skydio Enterprise app via the App Store or Google Play.
- Make sure both your phone and your drone have fully charged batteries before updating.
- For some updates, you may need to switch to your home WiFi network to download the update to your phone. Note that you can also change the Cellular Updates setting within the app (Info tab > Cellular Updates) to accommodate your personal data usage.
- If you need to update your drone and are away from a reliable WiFi network, you can toggle the Cellular Updates setting to Always, which will allow the app to utilize your cellular network to download any update packages.
If you have any questions or need any additional help, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Skydio, Inc. A0351
Was this article helpful?