The Skydio Autonomy Engine is always improving and adding new features to Skydio 2. These improvements are enabled with periodic software updates to both the Skydio 2 app and the drone itself. The same is true for Skydio accessories like Beacon and Controller.
Software updates for your drone and any Skydio accessories are delivered via the Skydio 2 app. When an update is made available, you'll receive a notification within the app (the app must be connected to the internet to receive the update):
To install the update, select your Skydio 2 in the list of "Devices" under the Info tab and then follow the onscreen prompts to start the update. Note that these illustrations are from an iOS device, but the process looks almost identical in the Android version of the Skydio app:
The LEDs on your Skydio 2 will flash as the vehicle is being updated, and the Skydio 2 app will keep you updated on the progress at every step.
Updating Skydio Accessories
If an update is available for your Skydio accessories, such as Beacon and Controller, the update process will happen automatically the next time that accessory connects to Skydio 2. The update process is indicated by unique LED behaviors on each accessory:
- The Beacon LED will flash blue and the screen will display “Updating Beacon”.
- The Controller LED will flash green.
- The LED on both accessories will return to solid blue once the update is complete.
- Do not power your Beacon or Controller off while an update is being applied.
- To update your Skydio 2 Dual Battery charger, see Updating your Skydio Dual Charger.
- Always check to make sure you have the latest version of the Skydio app via the App Store or Google Play.
- Make sure both your phone and Skydio 2 have fully charged batteries before updating.
- For some updates, you may need to switch to your home WiFi network to download the update to your phone. Note that you can also change the Cellular Updates setting within the app (Info tab > Cellular Updates) to accommodate your personal data usage.
If you have any questions or need any additional help, don’t hesitate to contact us.